5 Signs Your Electrical Wiring Needs To Be Replaced

When it comes to your home's safety, you should always be aware of a number of things present in your house. Remember that electrical wiring is one of the most common dangers in your house. It is highly recommended that you have routine inspections performed on your electrical wiring by a licensed, professional electrician, such as one from a company like Advantage Electric. Throughout the course of this article, you will learn of 5 particular warning signs that your electrical wiring needs to be replaced.

Breakers and Fuses Consistently Go Out

Your circuit breaker board is an integral part of your home's electrical wiring and is one thing that can prevent your house from a certain flame laden fate. Circuit breakers tend to trip, which means that power is turned off to certain areas of the house, when the circuit is overloaded. Although an overloaded circuit could be caused by a variety of things, one thing that you may want to look into, especially if this is a recurring problem, is the fact that this could be related to outdated wiring.

Dimming Or Flickering Of Lights

Whenever your lights dim or flicker, chances are, it is the case that your circuits are overloaded and you are on the verge of having a circuit board trip. You will rarely ever see this phenomenon occur with good wiring, however. Good wiring will not cause the lights to dim or flicker except on very rare occasions. If you experience this, it is recommended that you call the services of a qualified electrician to examine your current wiring. This is a definitive sign that your wiring needs repair or replacement.

Buzzing Or Charred Outlets or Light Switches

This is another definitive sign that you need to replace your home's wiring and it is also a warning sign: this phenomenon means that you are in a highly dangerous situation! If you happen to hear any buzzing from outlets, or if you notice them smoking, or if they seem to suffer from char or smoke damage, this means that the wiring in your house has either worn out to a great degree or was improperly installed. It is highly recommended that you have a professional take a look at your outlets, switches and wiring as soon as possible to prevent an electrical fire from occurring.

A Distinct Burning Smell

Improperly installed wiring or wiring that has not been properly taken care of, tends to cause electrical fires. Contrary to popular belief, electrical fires don't just happen in the blink of an eye, but rather, it can take up to several months for them to occur. During this time, however, you should be able to sense some of the warning signs. For one, slow burning electrical fires will emit a distinct burning smell. As the chance of a fire grows and grows, you may begin to smell smoke as well. The wires will emit smells as they start to heat up, before they actually catch fire.

Switches That Shock You

It is not normal for a switch to shock you. If you have experienced this in your home, chances are, it is because of improperly installed wiring or wiring that is failing. The chances of a switch electrifying you to a great degree is virtually non-existent, but a switch should always fail to shock you. A switch that shocks you is not an emergency, per se, but it may be indicative of a problem that can continue to grow and cause some serious wiring issues for you down the line.

Wiring issues can present a very large danger to your household, so it is highly recommended you take these guidelines into consideration and be proactive regarding how you deal with electric issues.

Share